Fw: WCAP The Next Generation

Mark Watson markwats@comcast.net
Mon Aug 13 21:01:25 EDT 2007

Bill O'Neill wrote:

 > The late Ike Cohen often said that his wish was a solid local
> programming and local news commitment.  And, I suppose, it would not be a
> stretch to suggest that the brothers wanted to keep the station within the
> English language spectrum as well as out of the control of other local
> media with whom they honorably challenged one another in the Merrimack
> Valley marketplace over the years.

   And that was obviously a major factor in why Maurice turned down many
offers to sell in the past. I was able to listen to Maurice make the
official announcement live on WCAP at 8:10 this morning. It was a very
emotional moment for him as he read the official FCC filing notice, which
was filed this past Friday. He choked up a few times during the reading, but
got through it and before introducing Clark Smidt to take the mic, he
revealed that there was another group who had made an offer to buy, in fact
willing to pay more than the 2.6 million dollars Clark & his group had come
to the table with. Maurice turned down the other group's offer, because they
had made it clear that they intended to go ethnic/foreign language
programming 24/7. Maurice was assured by Clark that he would keep WCAP in
the English language spectrum and would work to enhance and build upon the
legacy that Maurice along with his late brothers Ike & Ted started on June
10th, 1951.

    Maurice Cohen is to be congratulated for selling WCAP to people who
share his vision and commitment to local radio. He could have sold to the
other group who threw more dollars down, but he obviously believes it's not
"about the money". Even as Maurice prepares to turn WCAP over to the "next
generation" this shows his commitment to and his caring about the community
he has served for over 56 years. Maurice also made it a point to thank the
many on-air people too numerous to mention who have been on WCAP's airwaves
over the years under his watch, he said he & his brothers put all the
technical stuff together, but it was the men & women behind the microphones
who helped to make WCAP what it was and is today.

   And Clark Smidt also is to be congratulated not only for assuring the
community that WCAP will continue to be locally owned and focused, but for
inviting Maurice to remain on board as an trusted advisor for guidance and
support after the sale is approved.  That is a classy move on Clark's part.

   I sincerely hope that the next generation of WCAP will be successful
under the new owners and I wish them all the best as they have a great
opportunity to serve the Greater Lowell and Merrimack Valley with quality
local programming, which is sorely lacking up and down this area's radio
dial. And I also wish all the best to Maurice Cohen and thank him, along
with his late brothers Ike and Ted for 56 years of outstanding service and
commitment to the Lowell area. It is a privilege and honor to know and have
been able to help Maurice out in the past few years, and I wish him nothing
but the best!!

Mark Watson