RKO's Digs At TKK

A. Joseph Ross Joe@attorneyross.com
Mon Aug 6 14:29:01 EDT 2007

On 6 Aug 2007 Dan Strassberg wrote:

> And while we're on those stations, I think 98.5 was still WNAC-FM and
> I think it later became WRKO (FM) and then still later became WRKO-FM
> when the AM adopted the WRKO calls.

No one seems to be able to verify it, but I remember distinctly that,
the day I got my first FM radio, 5 December 1958, one of the first
stations I listened to was "WNAC-FM," and sometime on the hour, I
heard a recorded voice interrupt with "This is WRKO-FM in Boston."
The WRKO calls were on FM at least that early, though AM listeners
were unaware of it.  A year or two later, when WNAC changed its music
format, they began ID-ing as "WNAC AM, WRKO FM."  And White's Radio
Log listed the call as "WRKO-FM" as far back as I can remember.  I
don't remember when I first saw White's, but it was long before the
change to WRKO on the AM side.

--
A. Joseph Ross, J.D.                   617.367.0468
92 State Street                          Fax: 617.507.7856