WTAG's Hank Stoltz jumps ship to WCRN

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Wed Apr 25 22:08:13 EDT 2007

For this move to pay off, Stotz has got to bring A LOT of business to WCRN!
Armstrong had been buying the time for his show and it appeared that, for
quite a while, what he was paying had kept WCRN afloat. Unless Carberry has
made a deal with Stotz to have Stotz buy the time and resell the spot
availabilities, WCRN has to sell a lot of spots both to make up for the lost
revenue and to cover the the added salary of a second major local air
personality.

We already know that Entercom is not directly reimbursing WCRN for carrying
the Red Sox (nor is Carberry apparently paying Entercom or the Sox to carry
the games), but my impression is that most of the commercials that WCRN
carries during the Red Sox games come from the network feed and not from
local advertisers in central MA. I assume that there is some sort of
complicated deal between Entercom and Red Sox network affiliates permitting
the affiliates to insert local commercials in place of some of the
commercials within the network feed. Those availabilities must be a
significant part of the compensation of at least the larger affiliates. But
do the sponsors pay to have their commericals appear on affiliates that
don't guarantee to clear them? Somebody reading this must know the answer; I
hope s/he will share it with us.

Maybe if WCRN can sell those presumed availabilities, the Carberrys can
directly derive revenue from the Sox games and the benefit to the station
will be more than just increased listenership and the hope for profits down
the road. Still, the Sox move and the local mid-morning show both appear to
be expensive gambles. WCRN has made a fair number of such gambles without
much--if any--profit to show for them so far. The first was the excellent
Swing 830 adult-standards format that, despite its high quality, garnered
few listeners and fewer ad sales. The second was the nighttime power
increase, which may yet turn out to be a winner.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367