XM & Sirius In One Radio

John Mullaney john@minutemancomm.com
Wed Apr 25 18:48:35 EDT 2007

 from: http://www.radioworld.com/pages/s.0100/t.2871.html

Karmazin: Satcasters Would Need to Support Legacy Radios for About 10 Years

3.09.2007

If the two satellite radio companies merge, they would need to support two
separate technology platforms until about 2016.
This is key, as Wall Street analysts have been debating how much money
Sirius and XM might save by merging and how far down the road those benefits
would be realized.

The 2016 date is from Sirius President/CEO Mel Karmazin, who testified
before the House Telecom and Internet Subcommittee this week in a hearing
about the future of radio. The satcasters don't want to make current
receivers obsolete, he said.

In other words, Sirius signals can't transmit and be received by XM radios
and vice versa.

When asked by Subcommittee Chairman Ed Markey, D-Mass., if a merged company
might be able to give up one of its two chunks of 12.5 MHz spectrum space,
Karmazin said that using compression technology, each company could "squeeze
more channel capacity" out of their respective services to add some more
programming, but could not give up a big swath of spectrum.

Yet, he left the door open by saying. "We're not spectrum hogs" and "would
be open to other ideas."