XM & Sirius In One Radio

Bill Smith brscomm@charter.net
Wed Apr 25 16:59:49 EDT 2007

The FCC  required XM and Sirius develop dual platform chipsets when they
first granted them a license.

http://sec.edgar-online.com/2002/04/22/0000928385-02-001552/Section10.asp

"In February 2000, we signed an agreement with Sirius Radio to develop a
unified standard for satellite radios, which will facilitate the ability of
consumers to purchase one radio capable of receiving both companies'
services.
In accordance with the terms of the agreement, we expect to work with
General
Motors to integrate the new standard under the terms of the distribution
agreement with General Motors. The agreement with General Motors provides
that
if General Motors elects to install radios which are capable of receiving
broadcasts from other satellite radio providers, in the absence of any
regulatory requirements to do so, we may seek to renegotiate the
distribution
agreement. If the FCC requires the installation of interoperable radios, we
will renegotiate the distribution agreement on mutually acceptable terms."

Bill

consumer-electronics