This whole Imus/Shock Radio thing.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Apr 15 14:00:36 EDT 2007

At 01:49 PM 4/15/2007, SonnyDaye1@aol.com wrote:
>Donna, every person you named came considerably AFTER Joey started
>doing it in the EARLY 60's!

On top 40 and popular radio, yes.  But I also mentioned in another
e-mail that this was being done in the 1950s (I've got it as early as
1951) by conservative/right wing churches and groups like the John
Birch Society, which had syndicated shows (one critic called them
nothing more than "Hate Clubs of the Air").  These shock radio shows
were not on in a lot of markets and they weren't syndicated in all
cases, but they were every bit as outrageous and said some pretty
nasty things, all without any penalty.  They flew under the radar
screen of the FCC more often than not.