Beverly Times 1976 article about "new" station, WMWM Salem State

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@mail.com
Tue Apr 10 13:06:21 EDT 2007

Courtesy of Jim Murphy, WMWM alumnus who's had a long career in broadcasting (WLYN-FM, WDLW,
Ch 25, Great American Country, Jones Radio Country), here's an article from the Beverly Times
dated April 7, 1976 about Salem State's radio station which was about to take the airwaves
(actual first air date was 4/26/76, I believe).

This is a 1 MB picture file--you will probably have to hit the "zoom" button on your browser to
see it better.

http://wmwm.250free.com/WMWM_040776.jpg

A mighty 10 watts! It was due to go on air 4/20/76 but an equipment problem (freq wasn't
totally centered on 91.7) delayed it a week or so. At the time it was the North Shore's
first non-commercial station.

----

"The three commercial radio stations on the North Shore--WESX, WMLO, and WLYN--
are doing a good job of serving the area," Murphy said. "But we hope to offer some
kind of alternative." Musically WMWM-FM will feature "mostly rock and roll, veering
away from the Top 40...We can play whatever kind of music we want...jazz,
some rhythm and blues, maybe even some classical.'"

(Note: yours truly has been with WMWM for all but the first 4 years of its 31 year existence...)