Don Imus Gets 2 Week Suspension

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Tue Apr 10 06:49:13 EDT 2007

Having spent Monday driving to NC and listening to various news/talk
programs on XM the entire day, I thought that I had heard this program to
death.  What caught my ear was a caller, supposedly another talk show host
whose name I missed, to the Rusty Humphries show who said that the "nappy
headed ho's" comment was just the tip of the iceberg from that show and that
the actual meat that really pushed everyone over the edge was so nasty that
the sound bite could not be replayed.  A check of Wikipedia produced this
transcript:

" DON IMUS: So, I watched the basketball game last night between -- a little
bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.
SID ROSENBERG: Yeah, Tennessee won last night -- seventh championship for
[Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --

BERNARD McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.

IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man,
that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you
know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.

McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.

IMUS: Yeah.

McGUIRK: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes -- that movie that he had.

IMUS: Yeah, it was a tough --

CHARLES McCORD: Do the Right Thing.

McGUIRK: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

IMUS: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did,
right?

ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look
exactly like the Toronto Raptors. "

This quote, if accurate would explain a bit more fully the outrage that I've
been hearing.  Since I don't listen to Imus I can't vouch for it.

I suppose the one thing that offended more was that the loudest mouth piece
making noise was that professional victim Al Sharpton.  I find any of his
demands for apology and reparations, particularly that Imus should be fired,
to be equally offensive.  To Al I only have two words: Tawana Brawley.  I
don't recall much of an apology or demands he be defrocked there.

As far as Imus, I think that he was an idiot for saying it and a bigger
idiot for going on Sharpton's show for redemption.  I can only wonder how
much Sharpton tried to shake him down for, much like Jessie Jackson does,
for "redemption".

Brian T. Vita, President
Cinema Service & Supply, Inc.
77 Walnut St - Ste 4