Rumba: no ratings, but ad money?

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Fri Apr 6 15:43:09 EDT 2007

Laurence Glavin <lglavin@mail.com> wrote:
> Two ethic outlets DID show up in the ratings:  WUNR-AM 1600 COL
> Brookline
> and WNNW-AM 800 (1/2 the wavelength of the former) COL Lawrence.
> WUNR has
> some programs in Creole French, WNNW is almost all Spanish...the only
> exception: commercials in English!

I'm amazed that WUNR cracked the ratings. With the diversity of
programs on there, do you know how many ears they need to get to listen
to each of those programs to show up in the book? (I'm shocked they
even subscribe to Arbitron to begin with.) I'd imagine their TSL isn't
the best.

> I think it's a bit strange that
> WRCA-AM
> 1330 COL Waltham doesn't appear on the list;  it has a solid signal
> over
> the urban area it serves.  It's owned by a conglomerate,
> Beasley Broadcasting, that owns mainstream outlets elsewhere.  Do
> you think it might do better than WXKS-AM/WKOX did if they picked up
> progressive talk?

Isn't WRCA's "upgrade" not much of an upgrade signal-wise? Their signal
still isn't great in suburbia, IIRC, where much of the audience for a
left-leaning talk audience would be commuting to/from.