credit where credit is due

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sat Sep 23 17:07:46 EDT 2006

Since several nice folks on this board are always quick to write how
Air America is a failure, may I point you to the Springfield MA
book?  My theory has always been that niche formats succeed in
certain markets.  WHMP (Northampton/Springfield) dumped nearly all of
its right-wing talkers over the past year and moved to a combination
of AAR and Jones (Thom Hartmann, Stephanie Miller, etc).  I notice
their numbers have gone from a .08 to a 1.6  ... Okay fine, it's not
top 5, but in a market dominated by 5 colleges, I think they made the
right move and it seems to be paying off-- they run a lot of local
features, lots of local news, and progressive talk, and every time I
listen to them, they are nearly sold out.