Herald: Where have you gone Air America

Brian Vita brian_vita@cssinc.com
Thu Sep 21 06:51:53 EDT 2006

Eli Polonsky wrote:
>> Also, WAZN and WTTT recently suffered a lightning strike that
>> did quite a bit of damage (not visible from outside the site but
>> serious nonetheless according to WAZN's GM). You'd think the
>> nearby FM tower, which is at least 50% taller than the AM
>> towers would protect the shorter towers, but lightning has a
>> mind of its own.
>>

> Perhaps the lightning "sensed" somehow that the AM towers,
> with their underground grids, were a more substantial "path to
> ground" than the taller FM tower was. Only guessing, I really
> have no idea. Another possibility is perhaps the lightning may
> have hit the taller old FM tower first with no operational effect,
> then bounced to the AM towers. I guess you had to be there...
>
> EP

Which, of course, begs the question, is there anything at the other end
of the antenna lead on this tower?  When 100.7 left the tower, were all
of the electronics pulled or is there some standby equipment still left
connected?  Is the actual antenna still there or was it taken down
leaving just the steel frame?  Are there any other services using the
tower?  Just curious.

Brian