Herald: Where have you gone Air America

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Thu Sep 21 02:45:39 EDT 2006

-----Original Message-----

In addition to the intermodulation factor with also nearby WWZN that Dan
mentioned, the other possible reason would be in your radio. If you have
a modern digital car tuner, many of them have an automatic attenuation
circuit that reduces sensitivity when it receives extremely strong signals,
such as when driving nearby transmitters.

It's purpose is to help reduce symptoms of RF overload such as splatter
and the receiving of images, harmonics and intermodulation. The circuits
are usually designed to reduce the sensitivity of a certain portion of the
dial surrounding the very strong nearby signal, which can cause weak
reception of other frequencies nearby the strong one on the dial.

The circuit replaces the old "Local/DX" switches, which used to have to
be switched manually as needed when driving into strong signal areas.
Though the old manual switches were much more common on FM than
AM tuners, many digital car tuners employ the automatic attenuation
circuit on both AM and FM.

EP