Herald: Where have you gone Air America

David Tomm nostaticatall@charter.net
Mon Sep 18 03:38:21 EDT 2006

It's no big surprise that Peter Smythe (WTKK) and Jason Wolfe (WRKO)
weigh in negatively against progressive talk.  Of course, both of them
would love to have the consistent 25-54 numbers that WBUR has.  It's
not "liberal talk" per se, but that's where the pool of potential
liberal talk listeners currently resides.  Why would these listeners
switch from a dominant FM frequency that is (in theory) commercial free
to a noisy AM signal and have to endure four long spot breaks every
hour?

If this is a "conservative country" as Smythe suggests, why isn't
ultra-conservative talker WTTT doing better?  Maybe it's because they
have a low-powered AM signal, or maybe it's the all satellite fed
lineup they have.  It could be the lack of  promotion by Salem, or
possibly the strong ideological bent of the hosts.  Or it could just be
that the potential audience has other, more established places to go
for the format that have better signals.  Funny, you can apply the same
reasoning to WKOX/WXKS.

This isn't to say that AAR doesn't have issues, they do.  But if they
do go belly up that does not mean that "liberal talk" is dead.  As
Donna mentions, other syndicators are finding success marketing
left-leaning talk shows.  There are plenty of success stories in the
format.  However, the successful stations have competitive signals and
at least some local hosts, particularly in the drives.

When Rush started out, he was on 5K fringe AM stations and it took him
awhile to get established.  Once his show moved to some of the 50K
blowtorch AM's, it took off.  The same thing needs to happen to liberal
talkers.  It isn't about ideology.  It's about market penetration.  It
hasn't gotten there yet and it's still very early in the game.

--Dave Tomm
"Mike Thomas"