Herald: Where have you gone Air America

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Mon Sep 18 02:47:27 EDT 2006

At 01:57 AM 9/18/2006, Bob Nelson wrote:
>"...The nation hasn't turned its ears to you." In the heart of Kennedy
>Country, AAR hasn't really made a dent.
>
>http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=158055

Given how the Herald leans Republican, I am not surprised that they
would feel negatively about progressive talk-- at least the author
tried to be fair and did mention the horrible signal the Boston
affiliate has-- I can't even hear it in Quincy... but again, the
format really is doing just fine in some cities, and the Jones Radio
Network folks (like Ed Schultz and Stephanie Miller, as well as Thom
Hartmann, who I believe is part Jones and part AAR)  are actually
gaining audience, according to Talkers magazine.  Like him or not, Ed
Schultz is now the #9 most listened to talk show host in the country,
with more than 2.5 million listeners a week. Air America has a
horrible business model and has been very poorly run.  I've offered
to consult 'em, but alas, my phone ain't ringing... Still, it took
Rush Limbaugh nearly 6 years to become popular, and AAR is still
fairly new.  Will they survive?  I can't say.  But already certain
progressive talkers are finding niches in a number of cities.  Time
will tell if the format has staying power, but personally, I think
it's good for democracy to have both sides of current issues discussed.