OK I Know What's The Frequency...Now What's The Station?

Laurence Glavin lglavin@mail.com
Sat Oct 14 14:03:59 EDT 2006

On a few occasions, Scott Fybush would post an item about mistakes
occurring in the Boston Globe's sports pages, primarily the call-letters,
frequencies or call-letters AND frequencies of stations carrying PBP sports
that were erroneous.  I was glancing at that area of the Globe today
(Saturday) and noticed that the paper is avoiding the risk by publishing
only the FREQUENCIES of such stations.  So MLB playoffs are listed as
being on TV channel 25 and on radio at 890 (what, no 1400?).  Of course
this gets confusing because some college game is listed as being on 95.9 FM;
is that Marshfield or Pittsfield?  You may say, it must be Marshfield because
the Globe is a BOSTON paper, but for a Dartmouth College game they list
1340 as the frequency, and that's in Hanover, NH.  This gets even odder
when you check out the carrier of an American Hockey League game
between Worcester and Portland...the frequency is 1440, and BOTH
cities have outlets that transmit on 1440.