Another delay story?

John Francini francini@mac.com
Tue Oct 10 15:35:35 EDT 2006

I just got a big screen HDTV a few weeks ago.  The pixelation I see
seems to depend on the channel source, even with sporting events.

NESN's coverage of Red Sox games, for example, leaves much to be
desired in the pixelation department.

I haven't yet caught any of their Bruins coverage to see how that
looks.  Since there's lots more fast motion in hockey, I'd hope
they'd use more bandwidth.

ESPN, on the other hand, seems to have a beautiful picture, at least
on most of their HD stuff.  And they really turn up the quality for
Monday Night Football.

I had heard somewhere that many of the digital channels are squeezed
into a mere fraction of the on-the-wire bandwidth used by the analog
signals. If this is the case, shouldn't the eventual demise of the
analog tier be a good thing, as the cable co could then use more
bandwidth to provide better pictures?

Of course, if Verizon ever gets their FIOS act together in Nashua
they'll be able to deliver far more channels, with a far higher
bitrate, than could possibly be done with copper. (And yes, I know
that the "cable system" is actually fiber on the pole, and the only
part that's electronic these days is the feed from the pole to my
home, but that sounds like the Weakest Link™ in the whole system...)

John