And from Cape Cod.....

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Tue Oct 3 15:30:12 EDT 2006

Dan, based on the ratings (25-54) I've seen, you're absolutely right
that LISTENERS consider WBUR to be a "real" station.  But from what I've
heard talking to the corporate underwriting folks there, and at several
other pubradio outlets, there are lots of advertisers that're still
unconvinced.  And, of course, it's really all about the advertisers;
despite what WBUR says during their fundraisers...in terms of actual
dollars they make lots more money off corporate underwriting than they
do off of listener donations.  The reason fundraising overall adds up to
nearly 50% is from the hordes of "challenge grants" that WBUR has been
very successful at lining up in recent years.

Anyways, the content restrictions are the real problem; many people who
seek advertising are doing it specifically because they want to announce
some sort of price information, or because of a sale...two things you
can't say on non-commercial licensees.  Other advertisers don't like the
idea of not being able to say whatever they want (the "it's *MY* time
because *I* paid for it" syndrome).

That said, it's worth noting that WBUR has had a banner year in
underwriting during FY2005-06 (their fiscal year ends ~06/30) and I'm
told they're way ahead of sales quota already for the coming FY, too.
People are indeed getting the message!

- Aaron