local races...

Tony Abruzzese abruzzese@biochem.bumc.bu.edu
Wed Oct 4 10:13:48 EDT 2006

On 10/4/06 1:06 AM, A. Joseph Ross wrote:
> Once upon a time, our local Cablevision channel in Brookline used to
> carry Town election results and even have remote cameras at the
> election night parties of the winning and losing candidates for
> Selectman.  That seems to have stopped since Comcast took over.

Do you know the state of community access services in Brookline? There
could have been a change in the franchise agreement since Brookline has
multiple cable providers, Comcast and RCN with regard to who is
responsible for providing services formerly required through exclusivity
clauses in the franchise agreement. Is the programming (or access
channel) shared with other Metro Boston communities?

Another issue is staffing the remote broadcasts. I know that in our
town, Billerica, BATV programming is produced and staffed by volunteers
while the facility is maintained by Comcast as part of the franchise
agreement. If you cannot get volunteers to staff the remotes, or produce
programming in general, then local programming will suffer.

--
Tony Abruzzese
BUSM Dept of Biochemistry