Bye Bye Boston's Progressive Talk?

Sean Smyth sean.smyth@yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 09:50:52 EST 2006

David Tomm <nostaticatall@charter.net> wrote:
> The changes with Clear Channel is what's driving this move.  My guess
>
> is they are prepping the AM's to be sold.   They're not going to make
>
> any real revenue being the fourth conservatalker in town or doing
> brokered ethnic.

I'll disagree. Why else did Clear Channel keep brokered programming on
WKOX for the first few years they owned it? Why else would Arthur Liu's
firm have paid to buy 1470, then pay for the move-in to the Lexington
site? They'll make more money selling airtime than, as you said, being
No. 4 talker or sports station in town. To boost revenues short-term,
and make the balance sheet look nice, it's a smart move. Long-term,
there always will be a market for underserved markets, especially since
there is no major Spanish signal in the market.