Gary Lapierre's Replacement

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Nov 29 20:37:47 EST 2006

Roger Kirk wrote:
> My personal choice would have been Greg Jensen (sp?)  He's got pipes,
> style and smarts.  Delivers a hell of a newscast, too.  His on-the-fly
> parsing overcomes badly written copy and he's been handed a bunch over
> the past few months.

I've never cared much for Gregg Jensen's delivery myself...it always
sounds a little forced to me, almost like he's trying too hard to
out-Gary Gary. (And as part of the small club of people who've had to
write "Gary"-style for Gary, I feel somewhat qualified to say that only
Gary LaPierre can get away with a lot of what Gary does on the air.)

I don't know if it's coming directly from Gregg or from the current
writing staff there, but the last time I was listening to him on the
air, the writing was very heavy with the sort of verbless style that Tom
Brokaw used to overuse - "Mayor Menino promising tonight to get to the
bottom of the latest scandal. Tom Finneran saying he won't take
responsibility for it." Me changing the channel to someplace that uses
verbs...

(Another frequent offender in this department, alas, is the otherwise
commendable Keith Olbermann.)

It is also possible that I'm just very spoiled from spending the last
couple of years working in public radio, where we try to write in
English that's both conversational and un-gimmicky. From what I've heard
of him on WOR and WCBS in recent years, that's about where Ed Walsh is
coming from, too, so I'm hoping for the best with his arrival.

(who - shameless plug - can be heard for the rest of the week doing the
local news breaks on WXXI AM 1370, streaming at wxxi.org, daily from
4-6:30 PM...)