Herald: Ch 4 going back to "WBZ" brand

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Thu Nov 23 07:35:31 EST 2006

I think that Scott (maybe even in his recent reprise of the WEPN transmitter
site at Tower Site of the Week--WEPN is the station that used to be WHN,
WMGM, WUKQ, WEVD, and probably others) showed us that what is now WEPN had
been WHN on more than two occasions--maybe three. If so, I've forgotten the
details. I know that the original WHN calls date back to when the station
was owned by the Marcus Lowe booking agency--later Lowe's Theaters. Lowe's
later changed the calls to WMGM. After radio magnate George B Storer bought
the station, he used his considerable influence with the FCC to have the
calls revert to WHN.

Storer owned a lot of stations with interesting histories. And you can bet
the histories would not have been so interesting were it not for Storer's
FCC connections. He was behind getting a full-time license for what was once
KFVD in Los Angeles, a daytimer on 1020, which, like a couple of other West
Coast AMs that operated on clear channels assigned to stations in the East,
would sign back on in the late evening (West Coast time) when the Eastern
stations were off the air overnight. Only after Storer convinved the FCC to
allow what was by then KGBS to go on the air full-time did the other
stations that he didn't own (in San Francisco, Portland OR, and Seattle) get
full-time authority. Storer also moved his WJBK Detroit, a Class IV
graveyarder, to the 1500-kHz Class IB channel and built a nine-tower
directional array to increase to 10 kW-D/5 kW-N. The array didn't work
properly and that Quixotic exercise wasn't straightened out for 50
years--long after Storer's death and long after the station had been sold
repeatedly. The station is now WLQV and runs 50-kW-D/10-kW-N. The WJBK calls
may survive on TV in Detroit--not sure.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net