Herald: Ch 4 going back to "WBZ" brand

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Wed Nov 22 22:47:26 EST 2006

On 22 Nov 2006 at 19:52, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> The radio station was KHJ in Los Angeles, which became KKHJ for many
> years and then convinced the FCC to let it go back to KHJ, which are
> the current calls. The reasoning for dropping the extra K was a bit
> hokey, but I think the FCC was simply looking for a reason that it
> could a accept (that is, a reason that sounded plausible) and the
> licensee came up with one. And yes, there is (or was) a KHJ-TV, which,
> I believe, is not co-owned with KHJ (AM) and has not been for many
> years.

Thanks for recalling it.  I thought it was something like that.

Incidentally, it apparently was once possible for a station to
reclaim its old three-letter calls, even if they hadn't been used for
awhile.  As I recall, the former WHN in New York went back to those
calls sometime in the 1960s for awhile, then gave them up again.  I
remember being surprised at the time, since I didn't know the station
had once been WHN, and I wondered how they had managed to get a three-
letter callsign.  Then I saw an old movie where someone was speaking
with a microphone labelled "WHN," and I figured out that the station
had once had those calls.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581