Herald: Ch 4 going back to "WBZ" brand

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Wed Nov 22 16:17:24 EST 2006

>>I doubt today's FCC would be so willing to bend.

> Too bad;  in this day and age of radio stations in one city and
> a TV station in a fifferent city sharing calls, wouldn't
> be a hoot if some group bought WDZ in Decatur, IL and changed one
> of its TV's to WDZ-TV?

They could still do that. There are fairly recent examples - CBS buying
WGPR-TV in Detroit and changing it to WWJ-TV, for instance, or the fairly
recent revivals of the KSL-FM and WWL-FM calls in Salt Lake City and New
Orleans. But in those cases, the base call had remained on the air
continuously since being granted. In the case of WJZ, the calls had been
dormant for four years, and in the case of KUT for something like 25
years. And in both cases, the licensees asking for the "new" 3-letter
calls were not the same licensees who'd last had those calls in their old
incarnations. The equivalent here would be someone buying a station in New
York City and asking for the WHN or WOV calls back.