Axe falls on WRKO news Dept.

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Nov 19 13:35:03 EST 2006

>Bob wrote--
>
>Some have speculated AAR has expressed contempt for big
>business/corporations on
>air. Yes, the bigwigs can get away with loopholes and get tax breaks,
>but one would
>think they'd shy away from being constantly criticized on air. "Well,
>we think you
>should boycott Wal-Mart! OK, we'll be back right after these...public service
>announcements..."

Umm, at the risk of seeming like a shill for Ed Schultz and Stephanie
Miller, both shows are profitable, both have good ratings in their
target demos, neither insults Wal-mart, and yet both have had trouble
getting stations to sign on as affiliates.  Thom Hartmann and Rachel
Maddow of Air America similarly don't insult corporations either.  As
all talk show hosts do, including the righties, they question and
discuss certain current events.  When corporate greed or corruption
is in the news, of course they are gonna talk about it.  I think it's
a myth that progressive talkers "constantly criticize" big
business.  They do sometimes criticize greed and corruption, but I
would expect talk show hosts to discuss that, no matter who is doing
it-- wouldn't you?