Changing frequencies - changing transmitters? Power?

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Sat Nov 18 07:32:13 EST 2006

WCRB may well have done that and it would be legitimate for them to have
done so. Many FMs used to promote their ERP's using the power corrected to
the class-maximum height, which in the case of WCRB was 50 kW. OTOH, when
the FM transmitter was at 750 South St on a 300' tower, the ERP was only
10.2 kW. I don't know what the HAAT was then; 750 South St is on kind of low
ground, so the HAAT might well have been less than 300'. Back in that day,
however, the Class B maximum power was only 20 kW. Regardless of whether it
took place before or after the FCC increased the Class B FM maximum
facilities from 20 kW @ 500' to 50 kW @ 500', the move to the Channel 4
tower gave WCRB's signal a huge boost.

IMO, WCRB's current signal from FM-128 is not as good as was the signal from
the WBZ-TV tower. I think it's too bad that WCRB couldn't or wouldn't move
back after the work on the TV tower was completed. I'm sure that the move to
FM-128 was expensive and the move back to the TV tower would have been even
more expensive; FM-128 already had an antenna that WCRB could use, after the
TV tower was rebuilt, there was no such antenna there. If a move back was
even theoretically possible (meaning if there was room on the TV tower and
the tower could support the antenna and transmission line), it probably
wouldn't have been economically justifiable.

--

Dan Strassberg
dan.strassberg@att.net