Election coverage review

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Fri Nov 10 02:16:22 EST 2006

At 01:53 AM 11/10/2006, Don A. wrote:

>I find these "special comments" of his self-serving, egotistical, and
>seemingly purposely filled with half-truths, just to get a reaction.
>
>I don't think he is as "insightful" as he thinks he is.
>
>But then again, that's probably what you'd say about Bill O'Reilly, right?

Actually, O'Reilly used to be an excellent host, but he got very full
of himself and egotistical, and is far less interesting than he used
to be.  I find Joe Scarborough or even Chris Matthews more
interesting that Bill O.  As for Keith, I like what he is trying to
do.  I also like Andy Rooney and Jack Cafferty for the same
reason.  They can all be curmudgeonly, but they offer a more moderate
perspective than the usual right wing spin, which is all too
prevalent. I really do like to listen to both sides of issues, and I
like a commentary that's well written.  I think perhaps you dislike
Keith's politics, which is certainly your privilege.

>Don wrote--
>Seems to me he just wants to bash conservatives.

Umm, you should have heard him bashing William Jefferson (a corrupt
Democrat), and he frequently bashes politicians of both parties for
being cowardly or corrupt.  But yeah, he really dislikes Pres. Bush--
however, so do many conservatives these days.

>Don also wrote--
>MSNBC decided strategically, to fill a gap and be the anti-Fox network.
>Since then, Olberman's comments took a sharp left turn.

I don't doubt this for one minute-- they saw an opening and filled
it.  But it's working-- his ratings have tripled over a year
ago.  And every commercial avail is filled.  Not bad for a network
that used to be a perennial joke.

>Don also wrote--
>I don't think it takes any "courage" to listen to consultants and watch
>focus groups and then realize "Hey!  There's probably a way for us to crawl
>out of third place!"

Oh you cynic.  Keith has always been political, but his network
wouldn't permit him to do anything much with it till about a year
ago.  And just because a network tries a strategy, that doesn't mean
it will work.  Many talk shows have tried to imitate Bill O and Rush
Limbaugh, but few have their ratings.  Keith and Chris Matthews are
both getting large ratings boosts, and Chris ain't no leftie.  They
are both doing something that evidently the public wants.

>Don also wrote--
>None of this is a criticism of you Donna.  Hardly, I have great respect for
>your insights.
>
>However, this is an example of how 2 people can watch the same thing and
>come to different conclusions.

But of course.  And I respect your interpretation.  I don't like
everything Keith does.  I just find his take on the news to be a lot
more interesting than some of the talking heads I see on many other shows.