Election coverage review

Don A. Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 01:53:02 EST 2006

> My own opinion of Keith is that for somebody who
> used to be known basically for having a big ego and being a bit of a
> wise guy, he has truly found his voice on MSNBC-- His
> special commentaries-- whether one agreed with him or not-- display a
> courage rarely seen in modern journalism, and have truly motivated
> many of us progressives over the past few months.

Funny, I watch these "special commentaries"  as well.

I find these "special comments" of his self-serving, egotistical, and
seemingly purposely filled with half-truths, just to get a reaction.

But then again, that just me....

I don't think he is as "insightful" as he thinks he is.

But then again, that's probably what you'd say about Bill O'Reilly, right?
;-)

> spokesperson for moderates, progressives, and even lefties.  He isn't
> afraid to criticise both right wing excesses and left wing excesses,
> plus he has a wry sense of humour I miss since Aaron Brown got
> replaced.

Seems to me he just wants to bash conservatives.

I don't think he gives much of a voice to "moderates".

In the last years, probably out of strategy, he has turned into the left
wing version of O'Reilly, with a little wit.

Not quite a "wry sense of humor"...but more sarcasm.

> It's nice to see an anchor who isn't afraid to speak out
> and who stands up for what he believes, even when to do so gets one
> called "unpatriotic" or "un-American" in some quarters.  But I say,
> somewhere in Journalism Heaven, Edward R. Murrow is smiling.

I have a feeling ERM is looking down saying "Is this whats it's come

MSNBC decided strategically, to fill a gap and be the anti-Fox network.
Since then, Olberman's comments took a sharp left turn.

I don't think it takes any "courage" to listen to consultants and watch
focus groups and then realize "Hey!  There's probably a way for us to crawl
out of third place!"

None of this is a criticism of you Donna.  Hardly, I have great respect for
your insights.

However, this is an example of how 2 people can watch the same thing and
come to different conclusions.