Election coverage review

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Thu Nov 9 13:49:40 EST 2006

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 13:05:25 -0500, Scott Fybush <scott@fybush.com> said:
>
>> I think Garrett and I need to trade NPR outlets - WXXI went to the usual
>> BBC WS at midnight, and I'd have MUCH rather heard the all-night NPR
>> coverage from Washington
>
> I didn't think there was anything *wrong* with NPR coverage; I was
> just tired of "all election news all the time" after having seen seven
> hours of it on TV when I went to bed at 3 AM.  There wasn't any more
> news to report in the next half-hour I was awake; they were just
> rehashing the remaining "too close to call" races, none of which were
> decided until after sunrise.  (Some of them may stil be undecided.)
>
> The MSNBC coverage, for what it's worth, reinforced my dislike of
> Chris Matthews.

I'm no fan of Matthews, but having Olbermann on with him made it
worthwhile. WTWP 1500 was using MSNBC audio for most of each hour until
they went to Jim Bohannon overnight. That was a welcome distraction on
the drive down to Hammondsport.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the Missouri race was called for Claire McCaskill
sometime in the 3 AM hour. That was pretty big news.

I suspect the last "too close to call" race is going to be WA-08, where
heavy flooding has kept some polling places from even being able to
deliver their results thus far.