Election coverage review

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Wed Nov 8 19:00:20 EST 2006

<<On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 18:46:44 -0500, "Hakim Madjid" <hmadjid@gmail.com> said:

> Frankly I don't know what the heck the Governor's Council is even for.

It's a historical relic.  New Hampshire has one as well.  Certain
things that in other states can be done by the Governor alone, or with
the approval of the Senate, must be approved by the Council.

Any impressions on the quality of the election coverage Tuesday night?
I was mostly flipping back and forth between the Microsoft channel and
NECN.  I should have listened to more of Gary LaPierre's presumptive
last election-night broadcast, but I only heard about fifteen minutes
of it.

MSNBC had this incredibly annoying habit of dropping their House
results crawl every time it was about to show the result of an
interesting race.  Apparently, the box that generated it didn't have a
"pause" control, so when it picked up again, the data for the
interesting race had long passed.

nytimes.com had commentary today (don't know if it appeared in the
print edition) about Katie Couric's performance, which I did not see
any of, and the general lack of women on the air in election
broadcasts.  Local stations and regional services like NECN seem to do
much better in that regard, presumably because their "star" anchor
teams and reporting staffs are more gender-balanced.

Then I went to bed and was somewhat irritated that WBUR was running
NPR coverage instead of the BBC World Service; I would have liked to
hear some other news and some international perspective.  (Not that I
would have made a different decision had I been in Paul LaCamera's
shoes.)

-GAWollman