Air America on ABC Ad Blacklist

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Tue Nov 7 17:44:58 EST 2006

>Don wrote--
>
>Unless of course you think this is part of Hillary's "vast right-wing
>conspiracy".

Well actually, some of us do.  I am working on an article about this,
and based on what I am finding, there are a number of sponsors who
when they DO advertise on a progressive station, they suddenly start
getting harrassing phone-calls from allegedly "outraged citizens"
saying that if the ads are not pulled immediately, they will never
patronize that store or buy that product.  I'd say it's just
coincidence, but the "outraged citizens" all say basically the same
thing, as if reading from a script, and they seem more like a
pressure group than some spontaneous listeners who sincerely object
to a certain talk show.  I think there really ARE some right wing
folks who don't want progressive talk to succeed.  I am not saying
there is a vast conspiracy, nor am I saying all right wing folks are
opposed to progressive talk, but what I am hearing from owners in a
number of cities seems to indicate there is something going on to
suppress or discourage advertisers, even in cities where the format
is getting good numbers.