depetro comments

Donna Halper dlh@donnahalper.com
Sun Nov 5 22:53:37 EST 2006

>Bob N wrote--
>I take it you won't be seeing that Borat movie, then. Sascha Baron
>Cohen, who is
>Jewish, has been known to do very anti-Semitic bits but he does them
>to kind of
>point out anti-Semitism and show how foolish it is.

Yup, I understand your point.  But I am only talking about how such
jokes make me feel-- for centuries, these sorts of "jokes" were taken
seriously by all too many people.  I absolutely enjoy good satire,
whether on the Daily Show or in a Weird Al song or wherever else.  I
was merely saying that for me, "Jew jokes" still make me
uncomfortable.  Probably has to do with my being beaten up and called
a Christ-killer when I was about 9 or 10.  That said, let's put this
discussion aside.  The DePetro issue is not about me-- it's about
what the standard for jocks is these days, and what is or is not "too
offensive" for a market.