depetro comments

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 22:40:38 EST 2006

>>when I hear a Jew
joke, not an ethic joke but one that makes fun of stereotypes about
Jews, I don't find it empowering or funny-- I find it offensive and
annoying.

I take it you won't be seeing that Borat movie, then. Sascha Baron Cohen, who is
Jewish, has been known to do very anti-Semitic bits but he does them to kind of
point out anti-Semitism and show how foolish it is.

Randy Newman did the same thing in the song Short People, which made fun of
a bigot who felt that short-statured individuals "have no reason to
live". During the
song's bridge, the background singers say, "Short people are just the same
as you and I" and Newman's _character_ comes out and says, "The fools such
as I". He admits he's being a fool. But then he just winds up going
back to his bigotry--someone tried to point out his views, and he
didn't listen. "Borat" is apparently doing the same.

I have heard it wasn't so much what DePetro said but the way in which
he said it...
thing....By the way, Michael Graham (WTKK)  pointed out on Friday
night that Ross
has attended rallies that praise anti-Semitism and suggested that might be
a better reason not to vote for her.