Debates / Equal Time

Robert S Chase attychase@comcast.net
Sun Nov 5 16:58:00 EST 2006

There are those who would say the major parties created the FCC's equal time
rule (which I think is still in effect as opposed to the Fairness Doctrine)
to prevent broadcast stations from giving time to minor candidates knowing
full well the incumbency would always get news coverage far in excess of the
fringe candidates. See
http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/E/htmlE/equaltimeru/equaltimeru.htm I
agree with Tony (below) however I think the deck is stacked against such an
idea. It is not so stacked in other countries.