depetro comments

Don A. Donald_Astelle@yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 01:21:20 EST 2006

> What am I missing?  The guy is knocking a politician in a nasty way. If
that
> is a firing offense, there are only a few talk show hosts that would have
> job.

I think the key words are "fat lesbian".

WRKO probably considers it along the same lines as:

"Tell that midget to go back..."  or "Tell that cripple to...."

Or to Deval: "Tell that Black guy to go back to Chicago", would've been
something similar.

Would these be acceptable?

We suddenly reduce his whole being to "that black guy".

Usually, what we teach our kids is you don't make fun of someone for
something that they have no control over.

We don't make fun of people's personal appearance.....their race, ethnicity,
big ears, or nowadays sexual orientation, usually because those things have
nothing to do with the issues being discussed.

>So calling someone fat is hate speech?
>
>Or is calling an actual lesbian, a lesbian hate speech?

Is calling someone "that cripple" hate speech? (...even if they are
techinally are "crippled", as defined by the dictionary?)

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cripple

It usually goes to intent.

And the intent was to use some non-related aspect of her life to zing her.

Zing her for the issues, some of her dumb positions ;-) but not on her looks
or orientation.