Board op firing ...

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat Nov 4 15:01:44 EST 2006

On 4 Nov 2006 at 7:04, marklaurence@mac.com wrote:

>  On Saturday, November 04, 2006, at 07:56AM, "radiotony"
>  <radiotony@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >Lastly, Massachusetts is not an at-will employment state, so WRKO
> >can't just firing someone without just cause. If they don't have that
> >just cause spelled out, I think it is safe to say they might have a
> >problem here.
>
> I've always thought Massachusetts did follow at-will employment law,
> and this page from boston.com seems to agree:

We do have employment at will in Massachusetts.  But every contract
contains a covenant of "good faith and fair dealing," which sometimes
means that the courts will step in on a wrongful firing.  This more
likely happens over financial issues, and while the courts won't
order someone reinstated, they may award money damages.

The classic situation was when an at-will employee was fired just
before certain pension rights were about to vest, or an employee was
fired to prevent him from qualifying for commissions he has earned.
I'm not so sure the board op would have a case here unless there was
an explicit contractual provision that was violated.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581