Spring Arbs Shockers

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Fri May 26 13:24:07 EDT 2006

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:14:22 -0400 (EDT), "Stephanie Weil" <stephanie@gordsven.com> said:
>
>> IBOC AM's gonna be a disaster for all these tiny stations.  The clears
>> will probably be able to get away with it though.
>
> Glynn Walden claims that the opposite is actually true: that the noise
> floor for those stations is so high already that an additional -20 dB
> of IBOC all around won't make much difference, whereas the big
> stations on relatively clear channels will get hurt by their
> big-signal first-adjacents.  (He's very open about his goal to have
> all broadcasting completely move to digital within ten years.  IBOC
> will certainly accelerate this, but I doubt it will happen in a way
> that benefits CBS.  5-kHz AM already sounds like crap.)

A senior engineer of my acquaintance (and Garrett's), who does
corporate-level allocations work for one of those Big Broadcasters That
Starts With A "C", has pretty much staked his entire career on the idea
that when it comes to AM in the modern environment, there is one factor
- and one factor only - that matters, and that's the NIF (nighttime
interference-free) contour, which is a factor of both the desired
station's own signal level and of the level of incoming signal from
other co- and adjacent-channel stations.

If you subscribe to this theory (and I do), it becomes clear that the
addition of IBOC at night will create only an incremental rise in the
noise floor on most of the regional and local channels. Up here in
Rochester, the worst that happens to most of the ex-class III signals on
1280, 1370, 1460 and so on is that they lose the very outermost edges of
their currently-usable NIF signals.

For the class A clears, though, the theoretical NIF is 0.5 mV/m (which
is to say, skywave reception is protected from interference to the 0.5
mV/m contour). That's a pretty fragile signal level, and so ANY new
interference becomes exceedingly noticeable and objectionable. (Think
about how often and how easily the AM DXers catch stations running day
facilities at night on the clear channels, even with fairly low power,
when the same power at the same distance would just fade into the
ambient noise on the regional and local channels.)

The former class II stations (now class B) on clear channels, such as
WRKO and WEEI, will fall somewhere in the middle. They already operate
with much higher NIFs than the class As, so the noise floor on their
channels is higher already, but the channels tend to still be clean
enough that there's at least some audience outside the NIF contours.
(Hmm...Sox, WRKO, 2007, Metrowest...)

The point to take away from all of this, I think, is this: the advent of
night IBOC, if it comes to pass, will force a lot of stations with
optimistic owners to sit down and take a good hard look at their
licenses. If you bought a class D license that says "Quincy" on it, then
what you've bought is protected coverage of Quincy (and, if you're
lucky, vicinity) during daylight hours. Anything else is gravy - and
subject to going away without any legal recourse. The TANSTAAFL
principle applies. If you wanted a class A signal in Boston, you'd have
had to pay class A Boston money for it.

That, of course, is just the engineering side of it. On the programming
side, broadcasters are very nervous right now, and some companies are
making moves that may not be healthy for the long-term survival of the
AM band, digital or not. It hasn't happened in Boston *yet*, but in New
Orleans, Salt Lake City and, soon, Phoenix, Entercom and Bonneville have
begun simulcasting the news-talk programming of their huge-signal AMs
(we're talking gigantic sticks like KSL and WWL) on equally huge-signal
FMs. If that doesn't send the message to listeners that AM is a
redundant medium, offering nothing that can't be found (with better
sound quality) on FM, I don't know what does. I have to believe that it
lowers the overall value of the remaining decent AM facilities - but
it's also understandable that skittish broadcasters are trying
everything they can throw out there to stem audience erosion to all
those other media choices.

And yet you've still got plenty of folks willing to throw millions upon
millions of dollars out there to buy marginal (or at least second-tier)
AM facilities, for whatever reason. Interesting times.