Spring Arbs Shockers

Garrett Wollman wollman@csail.mit.edu
Fri May 26 11:54:11 EDT 2006

<<On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:14:22 -0400 (EDT), "Stephanie Weil" <stephanie@gordsven.com> said:

> IBOC AM's gonna be a disaster for all these tiny stations.  The clears
> will probably be able to get away with it though.

Glynn Walden claims that the opposite is actually true: that the noise
floor for those stations is so high already that an additional -20 dB
of IBOC all around won't make much difference, whereas the big
stations on relatively clear channels will get hurt by their
big-signal first-adjacents.  (He's very open about his goal to have
all broadcasting completely move to digital within ten years.  IBOC
will certainly accelerate this, but I doubt it will happen in a way
that benefits CBS.  5-kHz AM already sounds like crap.)

-GAWollman