What's up with HD Radio

Aaron Read readaaron@friedbagels.com
Fri May 19 10:52:04 EDT 2006

Walkman/portable radios are not on anyone's radar.  I would not expect
them for several years; the DSP chip that decodes the HD Radio algorithm
is getting less power-hungry every year but so far it still sucks down
waaaaay too many electrons to be used in portables.

There are also real questions amongst engineers about how exactly
portable radios will be designed; the current crop of $5 walkmans &
clock radios got that way by cutting a LOT of corners in the receiver
filtering and technology...the result has been piss-poor tuners that can
only receive the biggest signals out there.  A lot of radio engineers
are still mad about that and are trying to prevent it from happening
again with HD Radio.

Currently there's only one real option for non-car HD Radio and that's
the Boston Acoustics Recepter HD Radio, which is $300.  There's a
handful of VERY high-end surround receivers from Yamaha I think, they're
in the $1500 range.   There's also car radios out there...Kenwood makes
an add-on HD tuner that'll work with most any in-dash unit that can take
a Sirius tuner.  Panasonic & Eclipse make "all in one" units.   Most
retail outlets don't have radios yet but I know Tweeter Etc carries the
BA Recepter HD, and that Radio Shack is supposed to start carrying the
BA this summer.  Crutchfield is still probably your best bet for home or
car radios, though.

By Christmas 2006 we are supposed to see several new home and car radios
hit the market.  However, we've been told the same thing for Christmas
2004 and 2005, too.  I'm getting cynical.

Multiple audio channels is officially called "Multicasting" and at the
moment, the FCC is only authorizing two extra channels...meaning there's
the HD-1 digital channel which, by the rules, MUST be the exact same
audio as the analog channel (and must be time-sync'd).  In addition to
the HD-1 is also an HD-2 and HD-3 channel.  Some stations are ready to
deploy an HD-4 channel, and the system can theoretically support up to
HD-7, but the FCC is not authorizing it yet.

The limiting factor is that all these extra channels must draw from the
same pool of digital bandwidth: 96kbps.  So if you have an HD-2 channel,
you have to split that 96kbps between two channels.  If you have an
HD-3, that means it's split three ways.  And so on and so forth.
Thanks to the HDC codec, even a 12kbps channel sounds better than you'd
expect...but it's still pretty crunchy at that level.

There is technically nothing stopping AM stations from multicasting but
the problem is the bandwidth.  AM only has 32kbps to play with and
that's barely enough to deliver a quality stereo channel for HD-1.
Whenever AM goes "all-digital" and the analog is gone, there will be
more bandwidth and I think you'll see more multicasting there.

Another note, AM stations are only authorized to use their digital
carriers between 6am and 6pm daily.  So there hasn't been a big rush to
convert AM stations yet...in Boston I think only WBZ, WMKI and WBUR-AM
(the latter being on the Cape but the digital is receivable along the
Boston coast thanks to saltwater groundwave) are regularly using
digital, although WILD-AM, WXKS-AM and WTAG have signed agreements and I
believe they have systems in place, but I don't think they use 'em.
Easy way to tell, though...just tune to their frequency during the day,
then go one channel up or down.  If you hear a roar of white
noise/static (on an analog radio) then they're running their HD digital
carriers.

Most commercial stations have joined the "HD Radio Alliance" and are
coordinating which formats they put on their HD-2 channels for at least
the next few years as the technology rolls out and more radios become
available.  You can find a good listing of stations & formats in your
state here:

http://www.hdradio.com/stations_on_the_air.php

So far nobody is doing any of the three formats you wanted (Contemporary
Christian music, Gaelic(Irish), and show tunes) although I do feel
compelled to point out that several of the local college stations do
have shows dedicated to all three of those genres (not at the same time,
though :-)

--

--------------------------
Aaron Read

1) No monthly fees--just the currently steep initial-purchase price.
2) No Walkman-style receivers yet. Not clear when these will arive. Few car
radios so far, but they are surely coming. Several tabletop or
boom-box-style models now.
3) The multiple channels are only for FM stations. AM is limited to a
single channel per station. This doesn't HAVE to carry the same program
as the analog channel, but there would be practical problems it if
didn't. If the digital signal drops out (a common occurrence in car
radios), the radio is supposed to drop back into the analog mode, where
if everything is working as intended, the same program would continue
uninterrupted. Running separate programs on the AM and digital signals
would disable this feature, possibly rendering the digital reception
unacceptable in all but the strongest-signal areas.

Somebody else will have to answer your question about what programming
is available on the HD2 channels of Boston FMs. I don't think any of the
formats you listed is available. The most likely purveyor of CCM would
be Salem (WEZE, WROL, WTTT). Since these are all AM stations, they
couldn't have HD2 channels. Also Salem has stated that it is adopting a
wait-and-see position on HD Radio--at least on its AM stations.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367