WLYN simulcasting WZRC New York

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri May 12 22:53:28 EDT 2006

WLYN was a 1 kW daytimer for many years. WLYN-FM's (later WFNX's) antenna
was located atop the WLYN (AM) tower--most likely side-mounted (which was
more common than top-mounting for FM antennas added to existing AM towers).
Many years ago, when the FM was already running the maximum power for
a Class A, the FCC allowed Class A FMs both greater antenna height (100m--up
from 250') and 3 kW (up from 1 kW and subsequently increased to 6 kW). (Of
course, even before the blanket increase, Class As, like FMs of all other
classes, were allowed greater antenna heights if they reduced their ERP to
achieve coverage equivalent to that of the class maximum.) WLYN was granted
the equivalent of 3 kW at 100m. This was accomplished, in part, by
increasing the tower height (and, I believe, top-mounting the FM antenna on
the new taller tower). WLYN (AM) thus got a more efficient, half-wave tower,
but because of proximity to first-adjacent WFEA, could barely increase its
coverage. WLYN thus became one of the first beneficiaries of the new rule
allowing AMs to operate at virtually any power instead of just 250W, 500W, 1
kW, 2.5 kW, 5 kW, 10 kW, 25 kW, and 50 kW. 700W into a half-wave tower was
probably equivalent to a little more than 1 kW into the shorter tower that
WLYN had been using. I don't think there was ever an intermediate step that
required WLYN to reduce to 500W--the nearest, lower, round-number power. I
have a feeling that for a LONG time after WLYN increased its tower height,
there was something seriously wrong with the AM installation because where I
live, the AM signal became noticeably weaker and did not improve until after
the station had changed ownership a couple of times.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367