Soxless Boss

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sat May 6 20:48:16 EDT 2006

On 6 May 2006 at 12:51, Shawn Mamros wrote:

> Didn't the FCC at one point mandate that simulcasting an AM on a
> co-owned FM would no longer be allowed?  I thought that was the
> reason for a lot of the owners of the big AMs to spin off their
> FMs, including Westinghouse.

They did, but WBZ-FM was doing separate programs long before that.
The anti-simulcasting rule was adopted in the mid-1960s, and WBZ-FM
was doing separate programs in the late 1950s.

When I got my first FM radio in December 1958, WBZ-FM was signing on
at 5:00 PM, running classical music until midnight, then signing off.
 The only simulcasting they did was for an hour on Sunday, when they
did a "stereo hour," using AM as one channel and FM as the other.

At one point, I called them up and suggested they simulcast the AM
during the day, before the separate FM programs started.  A couple of
weeks later, they were doing it.  I guess I was a 14-year-old radio
consultant!

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581