Soxless Boss

Bob Nelson raccoonradio@gmail.com
Fri May 5 14:23:00 EDT 2006

I was just about to post a link to an article in today's Herald
about Entercom meeting with Sox brass in Philly; the article said
Greater Media still had the edge for Sox rights, but Entercom wanted
to make a better offer, and would put them on WRKO.

Well, I just clicked on Herald's site and found THIS:

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=138066

"In a stunning turn of events, radio company Greater Media this
morning pulled out of the long-running bidding war with Entercom
Communications for broadcasting rights for Boston Red Sox games.

"Sources say Entercom has won the hotly contested battle for Red Sox
play-by-play. Entercom, parent company of local stations WEEI-AM (850)
and WRKO-AM (680), is the only remaining bidder. WEEI, the top sports
talker in the country, has been the longtime partner with the Sox.
Entercom's bid was said to have offered the Sox an option to buy an
equity stake in WRKO in the future. Sources say that under the next
radio deal the Sox play-by-play would likely be on WRKO.

"This was a difficult decision, but at the end of the day, the deal
didn't make economic sense for the company," Greater Media President
and Chief Executive Officer Peter Smyth said in a statement.

(back to me)--fine with me, in terms of I can pick up WRKO fine at work...