Herald Inside Track: Might Sox buy 99.5?

Sean Smyth ssmyth@suscom.net
Thu Mar 16 17:10:18 EST 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:25:43 -0500
 "R Trovato" <xtrovato@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> R Trovato wrote:
>> > WKLB and WPLM's signal together would cover the area quite
>well!
>> >

>http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WPLM&service=FM&status=L&hours=U
>> >

>http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WKLB&service=FM&status=L&hours=U
>> >
>> Cover the area, yes. Audible at Fenway? I don't think so.
>

>It is certainly audible at Fenway.  I drive by there into the
>Longwood area
>every day and can pick up WPLM and WKLB easily.
>
>I seem to remember a year(?) when WPLM and carried the Sox.
>(Jack Campbell was adamant that WPLM was enough to cover
>Boston.  And WKLB
>has a better downtown signal than WPLM.)
>
>When the Bruins were on WPLM...they chose to supplement the
>coverage with a
>small Boston AM (1150AM) as their Boston affiliate.
>
>I don't know if you've ever been to an arena size conference.
> Some
>conferences offer an "inside the forum" rebroadcast on AM
>radio....for
>walkmen, etc.  This is for hearing impaired and people needing
>translation, etc.
>
>Do you think Fenway Park could offer the same thing within the
>stadium?  A
>rebroadcast of the radio call on some low powered AM
>frequency?

There was such an experimental station operating out of the
East Boston Avis a number of years ago. Apparently it was
intended to rebroadcast sporting events at arenas. Never heard
what happened to that idea, or why the Avis was hosting such a
station.

Now, the signal quality you get driving is different from the
signal quality one's gonna get on a Walkman in Fenway -- or the
signal the producers, announcers are getting on the
over-the-air feed. I would imagine 99.1 and 99.5 would both be
overwhelmed from the hash from the Pru, which is maybe 10
blocks away.