"That Wascally Wabbitt" No More

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Mar 5 14:03:16 EST 2006

On 4 Mar 2006 at 14:34, Laurence Glavin wrote:

> I went to one of this week's performances by the Boston Symphony
> Orchestra, and noticed something interesting in the program
> booklet they distribute to patrons.  This booklet, like
> so many offered to people attending plays and concerts, includes
> information about the works being performed, and in the case
> of choral works, the text of the music being sung.
> (Note:  NEVER read the words to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony
> if you go to a live performance even though they turn up the lights;
> it makes you look like a philistine. It's assumed EVERYBODY knows THAT
> text!) It's also replete with ads that are actually a significant
> source of revenue for arts organizations. On page eight of this
> weekend's BSO booklet, was a full-page ad for WCRB's "Classical
> Cartoon Festival" on Saturday April 1st...yes April 1st.  They will be
> showing a number of Warner Bothers(tm) cartoons that employ classical
> music scores.  Over in one corner of the ad appears this note:  "8th
> and Final Festival!"   Many people don't follow the the vicissitudes
> of the radio business as we do and may not be aware that the South
> Street Snoozer is in the process of being sold...this blurb therefore
> may be news to some reading the ad!  Maybe they'll be aware that
> AOL/Time-Warner is in a state of turmoil and may conclude that perhaps
> WCRB lost the rights to the WB 'toons.  But anyway, it is in fact an
> early-warning of the day FM channel 273 flips to reggaeton or
> something else!

If the symphony-going community knew about the sale of WCRB, they
might be up in arms about it and make a lot of protests to the FCC.
Not that this FCC would listen, but something this bad really
shouldn't get done without some protests.

Incidentally, I've been noticing increasing difficulty receiving WCRB
in my office downtown.  A year or two ago, I brought an older radio
into my office and a rabbit-ears antenna, and that seemed to solve
the problem for awhile.  The older radio seemed less prone to images
from some of the downtown FM powerhouses that were making WCRB hard
to hear.

But lately, I have a different problem:  A signal that fades into
hash.  I move the antenna around, and the signal improves until I
take my hand off it.  Or until I turn towards the computer.  Or until
it feels like changing.  I finally turned the radio to WHRB, which
right now seems to have given up the afternoon hour of Gregorian
chants which turned me away last time I tried it a number of years
ago.  And there are classical stations on the Internet that I have
also discovered.  Unfortunately, I may not miss WCRB all that much,
at least in the office.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581