Globe: Deal could keep WCRB classical (on 99.5)

Matthew Osborne mattosborne1976@yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 16:59:37 EDT 2006

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:44:41 Bob Nelson replied to a
boston.com article:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/living/articles/2006/06/27/deal_could_keep_wcrb_classical/

> "If all goes as planned, local classical music fans
> will be able to
> keep listening to their favorite radio programming
> on WCRB-FM. But
> instead of tuning into 102.5 as they now do, they'll
> turn to another
> frequency on the FM dial, 99.5

Okay, so lets speculate for a minute that this deal
does, in fact, go through and all changes mentioned
here occur.  Doesn't that blow apart the whole driving
philosophy of having WKLB and the country format on
99.5 - that 99.5 covers an area where more country
music fans are likely to be as opposed to downtown
Boston?  This concept has even been verified here on
this list by Greater Media employees.  Unless someone
has numbers to show that philosophy does not work,
this whole move seems rather silly to me, as one would
expect the bulk of a classical music audience to be
living near and around downtown Boston and its
immediate suburbs.  Unless, of course, Greater Media
has other plans for 102.5's format that they're not
letting on to at this time, which could change this
whole scenario completely...

                              Matt Osborne
                              Schenectady, NY