Morning Drive Changeover at WBOQ

Eli Polonsky elipolo@earthlink.net
Fri Jun 16 12:18:45 EDT 2006

> > From: "Roger Kolakowski" <rogerkola@aol.com>
> To: <boston-radio-interest@rolinin.bostonradio.org>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 22:47:02 -0400
> Subject: Morning Drive Changeover at WBOQ
>
> Always fighting to stay in at least the bottom of the
> Arbitron ratings, the station was left out last period.

The published ratings only show 0.4 and above in the 12+
demo. A station could get an 0.3 and not be shown. Also,
a station could do better within a certain age group, and
I'm sure that if there was a survey that isolated only the
North Shore, that they would have a fair showing in that
area only, especially among older adults.

That said, I don't really know how these stations are run,
but why is WATD in Marshfield be able to keep a full-time
live air staff with a (somewhat) similar musical format
serving the South Shore, while WBOQ is automated or voice
tracked evenings and nights (and rumored for afternoons
soon as well) serving the North Shore? Is the South Shore
a more lucrative Gold-based-AC demo than the North Shore?

I know that WATD does not pay their overnight hosts who
do very specialized oldies shows (50's doo-wop, etc...)
as labors of love, but I'm sure they pay their regular
hosts throughout the daytime shifts and early evenings.

EP