WCAP 55th Birthday Party Report__Berkshires

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg@att.net
Fri Jun 16 11:37:04 EDT 2006

Back in the 50s, WSNY was a fabulously successful station focusing entirely
on Schenectady and its nearby suburbs. Had a VERY professional sound and a
spot load of at least 20 minutes per hour all day long. Nearly all of the
spots were locally produced and prerecorded using music and effects from
several suppliers. The transmitter location, southwest of Schenectady, kept
the signal from really penetrating Albany or Troy, but Schenectady was
booming then and WSNY was doing better serving just the one city than most
of the larger stations did trying to serve all of them.

1460 (then WOKO), in particular, had a very down-at-the-heels sound. It was
the plaything of its owner, Col Jim Healy, a local Rush Limbaugh of his day.
He used to broadcast ultra-right-wing commentaries, which he voiced himself,
in tones and cadences not unlike Limbaugh's. Of course, there were no
call-ins, and Healy's commentaries ran only about 15 minutes but I think he
recorded them and rebroadcast at around 6:00 PM the ones that ran live at
noon. Healy certainly LOOKED the part, a distinguished-looking,
silver-haired, significantly overweight, sixty-ish gent who, IIRC, liked
expensive cigars.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
eFax 707-215-6367