bose+hd?

Donald A. donald_astelle@yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 22:12:20 EDT 2006

--- Ron Bello <RBello@BelloAssoc.com> wrote:

> The roll out of HD Radio is among the most
> mismanaged product introductions
> IMO.
> When Disney premiers a new movie the stores are
> stocked with branded
> merchandise.

That's easy when Disney owns everything.  ;-)

Seriously, when you have to coordinate competing radio
manufacturers, competing broadcasters, factories in
Japan and the whole automotive industry....and then
line up some stores to carry them.........I think they
had done a pretty good job of getting everybody on
board for a first step.

Remember how "AM Stereo" faltered?  Confusion,
competing systems, etc.  I'm amazed that HD this many
people on board with any kind of agreement!

> Try and find a home receiver (not table radio) with
> HD Radio.  There are
> none that will
> receive the sub-channels.

Right now it is still in the novelty stages....and
portables, auto sets and table-tops are the first out
to test the waters.  They were (no doubt) easier to
get into production.

They have to overcome the "Radios won't be built until
people want it....and people won't want it until
radios are built!

The whole HD thing is starting slowly....table tops,
car radios....at the same time the HD channels are
being programmed in a very basic way.....automated,
etc.

> A salesman in Tweeter
> told me that none of the
> car radios do
> either.

My understanding is that some cars (high end no doubt)
WILL have HD radio installed coming this fall.

HD car radios are found easily.

> He also told me that customers come in
> asking for the product
> because of the
> advertising campaign but Tweeter has nothing to
> satisfy the demand.

The whole HD radio thing is only about a year old.

Tweeter HAS since taken the first step to getting
involved.

http://www.tweeter.com/hdradio/

Radio Shack and Crutchfield are also carrying them.

> By the
> time
> there is product the demand will be gone.

The product is there....and the radio ads point people
to Radio Shack, Crutchfield and others.

Again...it's a slow start.

It may be like the arrival of FM.

FM radio really didn't mature until it started being
available regularly in the cars.  That should start
this fall.