WCAP 55th Birthday Party Report

Bill O'Neill me@billoneill.us
Sun Jun 11 09:30:19 EDT 2006

Mark Watson wrote:
>  Last night (Saturday June 10th) the WCAP (980 Lowell) 55th Birthday
> Party was held. It was a fun, memorable, and emotional evening. Fun as
> it brought together many WCAP alumni from as far back as the mid 50's
> to as recent as the late 90's,
What Mark didn't mention is how he was the glue that bound the event
together! Low-tech won-out last night with a steno-pad and pen being
passed back and forth between Mark and me on the fly as new guest would
arrive or chatter points on people who were in the wings. Gary Francis'
efforts were monumental. From conceiving the idea of the broadcast,
arranging for dignitaries, presentations,  right down to gathering,
preparing and decorating the walls of the Gary's Ice Cream restaurant
location with dozens of WCAP memorabilia.

After over ten years on this list, I was thrilled to finally meet Donna
Halper in person. Donna's presentation was wonderful and her perspective
on local radio set a great tone early on in the broadcast.

Scott Fybush and I caught up on old times, too. As I write this, Scott
is likely preparing to join Maurice Cohen at the WCAP transmitter
site/tower farm. I regret that I can't join them due to a family
commitment.  But methinks my presence there could turn the visit into a
two day long excursion.

My former boss and guy who gave me my first break into commercial radio,
Joe Corcoran, was at the broadcast and it was great to catch up on old
times and pick up where we left off as if it were yesterday. True with
old buddy Bill Smith, as well, who was still able to recite, verbatim, a
radio spot for the now former Mercier's Brothers Car and Van Wash, all
in the stylings of former WCAP morning guy, and later WKOX broadcaster,
John Tucker.

If my memory and notes are right, packed into four hours, we were
fortunate to be joined on mic by: Scott Fybush, Donna Halper, Mark
Watson, Joe Corcoran, Dave Faneuf, Mary Blake, Bill Smith, Susan
Czepiel, Julie Stinneford (Sider), Doug Barker, Mark Adams, Joe Abrams,
Don & Anita Hill, Fred Faust, Dan Gillette, Ray Tremblay,  Dan Boure,
Casey Crane,  Barry Pretzel, Pat McCarthy along with WCAP PD Ryan
Johnston (voice of Spinners and Lock Monsters), Regina Fatacanti, George
Anthes, John McDonough and Linda Bown.

Bill O'Neill