MyTV joins MyNetwork

Scott Fybush scott@fybush.com
Sat Jul 22 16:11:14 EDT 2006

Doug Drown wrote:
> <<Since "major" network affiliations exist in markets as close
>> as Boston/Providence,  Springfield/Hartford and many more, wouldn't
>> it be a better bet for 50 to affiliate with CBS, NBC or Fox?>>
>
> Good question --- and one which raises a couple more.  I understand that
> WMUR-TV was originally a CBS affiliate, but switched to ABC back around 1960
> or thereabouts.  The station has changed hands twice in the past thirty
> years; with each change in ownership, have the other networks tried to wrest
> it away from that ABC affiliation?  And . . . Why ABC?  It gives the network
> a very advantageous toehold in the state.  (I guess if I were an exec with
> Disney/ABC, I'd have my answer right there.)

At this point, the "why ABC?" question lies squarely at the feet of
Hearst-Argyle, which paid an obscene amount of money a few years back to
put WMUR under common ownership with WCVB, thus creating a
"best-of-both-worlds" scenario and eliminating a slight disadvantage
WCVB would otherwise have had in the Boston market (since it had to
split ABC viewership in NH with WMUR, while WBZ and WHDH had exclusive
market rights for CBS and NBC). Now, Hearst gets the viewership
regardless of whether people are watching WCVB or WMUR, and it gets the
incredible amount of political ad revenue WMUR takes in every four years
at primary time - and it doesn't have to worry about covering NH stories
on WCVB as much, since those viewers have WMUR to cater specifically to
them.

Given the level of cable penetration in southern NH, combined with the
fact that most cable systems now get a fiber feed of the Boston stations
rather than receiving them off the air, I'm actually somewhat surprised
we haven't seen the other Boston stations offer separate regional news
and advertising feeds for the NH piece of the market (or, for that
matter, for Worcester and vicinity). It would be easy enough to
accomplish on a technical level.