W1XAL shortwave station in Boston

A. Joseph Ross joe@attorneyross.com
Sun Jul 9 13:03:59 EDT 2006

On 8 Jul 2006 at 10:59, Doug Drown wrote:

> Your question, Joe, raises a larger one in my mind.  I've pretty much
> lost track of the shortwave world in recent years; I know the VOA
> still exists (despite the present Administration's desire to see it
> downsized, if not eliminated), and I know the CBC still has a world
> service.  Other than that, I have the impression that North American
> SW consists largely of religious and ethnic programming.  Am I wrong?

Emphasizing the word "largely," I think you're right about US SW
programming.  Canadian SW includes a number of shortwave repeaters of
AM stations, which can still be heard, mostly in the daytime, and the
former CBC Northern Service, now known as the Northern Quebec
Service, which used to be easy to monitor in the US, but which must
be using more directional transmitters now because I can't hear them
any more.

 15 Court Square, Suite 210                 Fax 617.742.7581